Armenian Time

Monday, August 9, 2010

8-8-10

Dear Mom,

Thank you for sharing about your wonderful Stake Conference experience. I love learning from the general authorities. Their lives really are special witnesses of Jesus Christ and His Gospel, and they really help me understand what on earth we're doing here, on Earth. It sounded like a very neat experience. I learned a lot, just from what you wrote. I also wanted to thank you for the talk on cd you sent my by Cleon Skalson about the Importance of the Atonement. I listened to it during lunches this week, and it was great. It helped me better understand the role of the Savior, Heavenly Father, and my own role as well. What an amazing plan, which is purely based on love. I liked his insights on element as well, which reminded me of the String Theory. I really believe that both of those are true. All matter and intelligence functions how it does, because we have a Savior and Father in Heaven who love us and want us to be happy. I really enjoyed the talk.

As far as why last week didn't go very well, I can't remember for sure but it was probably a few things. It is hard when meetings fall through and people don't keep their commitments, but I also think I need to better learn how to forget myself in the work. I try pretty hard, but it's still easy to not want to talk to people on the streets or to be focused on myself. Maybe it's also because we haven't had a lot of meetings lately. I decided, however, that I need to keep working hard on my goals, like you said, and in general, as well as try to serve others as much as possible. Work is such a great principle.

We had a cool experience on the streets this week. We had some extra time at night, so we decided to go buy something tasty from a nearby bakery while trying to talk to people. It felt good, so we decided to do it. On the way, a young man walked up to us and asked us how he could get a Book of Mormon from us. We usually don't give them out unless they really want one, so I said, "Well this book is really important to me, so if you let us tell you why it's so important to us then we'll let you have this one." He was a nice kid and seemed sincerely interested in what we believe. We gave him the book and planned up with him to meet the next day. He came, but the sad thing is that he said he was leaving the next day to Europe for his work for a while. We taught him a first lesson and told him to pray about it. I'm not sure what will come out of it, but it was a nice experience and I hope it helped. Something else that I am excited about is that Alex, the member's husband that came with us to lake Sevan told his wife he wants to become a member. That will be so wonderful for their family. He's quite busy with his work, but I think it will work out. I'll have to let you know what happens.

We have a Zone Conference tomorrow. That should help us get to know President Carter better. I already love and respect him a lot. He is trying very hard to help us be better missionaries. I'm glad. I have room for improvement. I really want to be able to become a useful tool for Heavenly Father, not only in this mission, but throughout my whole life and especially as a father some day. One of the first things President Carter told us is that in the Mission President's manual, it says that of all the responsibilities of a mission president, the most important is his family. Also, in Preach My Gospel, there's a quote in Chapter 8 or 1 that says the most important work that we will ever do will be within the walls of our own home. I'm very grateful for all that you and everyone in our family does and have done for me. I hope that I can somehow repay that. Something else that I learned from Elder Skalson's talk was that Heavenly Father receives his Glory when his creations are obedient to him. There is a scripture about that in second Nephi as well, but I can't remember the reference. He said that a Bishop becomes a great Bishop when the members are doing their hometeaching and fulfilling their responsibilities. God also received his glory when Christ fulfilled his will and he is glorified when we, his creations, are obedient to his commandments. That also means that all I do reflects how great of parents you have been for me as well. I love you. Thanks for your advice and love. Have a great week.

Elder Wainwright

No comments:

Post a Comment