Armenian Time

Monday, February 8, 2010

February 8, 2010

2/8/10
Hey Mom and Dad,
Thanks for your letters. It was actually lucky I saw it because it was sent to my gmail account. I'm guessing that was an accident. It was a way good week. My fast went well, splits were good, and the Church we went to was way cool.

I know God will answer our prayers. This week Sako was also in some big trouble with his debts and actually had some things taken so he'd pay it. We committed him to fast and promised him God would help him overcome this challenge, whether he needs to go to Russia to work or some other means. He said how fasting had helped others he was fasting for, but never himself. At the end of fast Sunday, however, he called and excitedly explained how the church he had worked for in Russia had sent him money that covered half the debt. It was a miracle. He doesn't want to test God, but we joked that he just needs to fast one more time. I really marvel at his faith and knowledge and I was so grateful to see that blessing.

One of our investigators, Narine, finally came to church yesterday and we started teaching her sister-in-law that came to stay with her. That was a miracle as well. They're both awesome women and are accepting our message very well.

Yesterday we also had our first "test run" sacrament meeting at night. About five less actives and non-members came, which was wonderful, and the Spirit was very strong. The awesome thing is that Yervand's mom, our amazing blind member' mother, was able to come and can finally get baptized even though she's already read the Book of Mormon 3 or 4 times as well as Preach My Gospel. I'm way excited for them. I think the meeting will be a big blessing for this branch.

Then, to top of the day something else neat happened. We got home about ten minutes early and knew we hadn't talked to anyone on the streets the whole day. As we were walking up the stairs, I again thought we should go out and talk to someone, even if it was just the group of kids smoking on the corner. So we went, and it actually turned out really good. Elder Larson distracted most of them while I talked about serious things with the kid that was actually interested. He invited us over, so we'll have to go try and find his house. I felt so blessed for listening to the Holy Ghost. I hope I can always be ready and willing to follow the guidance of Heavenly Father.

I went on splits this week with our Zone Leader, Elder Stephenson, in Vanadzor. He's a very obedient missionary, very humble, and pretty bold with his teaching, so it went really well and I learned a lot. It seems easier to talk about the gospel with people on the streets now. I really learned a lot from the splits and it was really fun. Vanadzor is about the size of Gyumri or St. George and I like the people there as well. They have a good branch too and the Blunks are way cool. They did come here, but I didn't mention anything about the McDermitts. They're not related are they? It was good, though, except for one kid who is really bad and can not listen. He also kind of beats his mother and grandma. I hope he ends up alright, I know there's still good in him.

One cool thing I learned from Preach My Gospel this week was about patience. Patience was defined as the ability to accept God's will in His time, not ours. I really like that definition. It reminds me of a miracle that my MTC Branch President told me about. In order to really have patience, I think we actually have to have faith and trust God that He will do what's best in the time that is best. We can't have faith without having to believe or trust in something that we can't see. Anyway, so you shouldn't have to fear waiting for a while. Faith overcomes all fear.


The church we went to was a reddish color and was way pretty. I don't think anyone goes there, but there was some cool ruins left over around it. There was also a very pretty frozen river and small waterfall closeby. It was way fun. Sister Fisher is leaving and my Sister from the MTC is coming up this week, so we'll have some changes this week. We've got a good district (us four and the senior couple).


Thanks for telling me about everyone's testimonies, Dad. I'll have to read that chapter in Alma.


Mom, when did you hurt your knee? I never heard. And I feel your pain with the crutches, they really are no fun. I liked all the things you learned about Noah this week. It's way cool to try and find some of the "hidden treasures" in the scriptures. I know that the scriptures contain all the guidance we need in this life, and I am so grateful for prophets who keep us on the right track and who are worthy leaders. I love this country and am so grateful for the opportunity to serve these people and bring them some of the happiness and peace I've experienced because of my Savior. Without Him, I am nothing.
Much love,

Your son Elder Wainwright

No comments:

Post a Comment